Answered by Sayyidi Habib Umar bin Hafiz (may Allah protect him and benefit us by him).
What intentions should people planning to get married make?
They should intend:
- obeying the command of Allah and following the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah ﷺ
- forming a pious family which will serve Allah’s religion on the earth
- that the family members love each other for Allah’s sake and are among the first to come to the Pool of the Prophet ﷺ.
- increasing the number of the Ummah of the Prophet ﷺ, and being a source of pride for the Prophet on the Day of Judgement
- lowering their gaze and safeguarding their modesty
As for the wedding you should act upon every Sunnah that you are able to act upon and strive to avoid everything which violates the Sacred Law whether it is big or small. The wedding should bring happiness to all those around you including Muslims and non Muslims.