Answered by Sayyidi Habib Umar bin Hafiz (may Allah protect him and benefit us by him)
What can we do at this time if we are unable to go on Hajj?
- We should focus on the objectives of Hajj and seek to realise them. For example, we should seek to attain humility before Allah and servitude to Him.
- On Hajj we leave behind some of the things which we are accustomed to. Those who are not performing Hajj should try to do the same by, for example, performing different types of worship.
- We should try to strengthen love and brotherhood between ourselves.
- We should try to assist the poor and perform the sacrifice (udhiyah/qurbani).
- We should take advantage of the first ten days of Dhu’l-Hijjah by fasting as many days as we can and by standing in prayer during its nights. We should encourage our family members to do the same.
- We should try to assist and support those going on Hajj and their families who are left behind. The Prophet ﷺ said that the one who assists someone going out for the sake of Allah has the same reward as that person.
- We should pray for those performing Hajj and thereby receive a portion of the reward which they are receiving.
- We should try to gather together when everyone is gathered together at Arafat to pray to Allah and seek to receive the mercy which is descending there. We should gather together on that day even if it is not the Day of Arafat (9th Dhu’l-Hijjah) where we are.