How does someone attain direct knowledge of Allah (ma‘rifah khassah)?
Answered by Sayyidi Habib Umar bin Hafiz (may Allah protect him and benefit us by him)
This is attained by purifying your heart, being in a constant state of presence with Allah and by deep reflection on the following things:
- The meanings of the Quran and the Hadith
- Allah’s majesty and signs
- His vast kindness and gifts
- Our return to Him and standing in front of Him
- The greatness of His Prophets
- Attaining the companionship of the Prophet ﷺ
The greatest sign of knowledge of Allah is humility and brokenness in front of Him. The greatest sign of ignorance of Allah is arrogance and pride.