We are all familiar with the well-known Quranic supplication: “Our Lord! Grant us the good of this world and the good of the Hereafter, and protect us from the torment of the Fire” (2:201). But what is meant by the good of this world and the next? Imam al-Haddad (may Allah benefit us by him) gives three meanings for each.
The good of this world has three meanings:
1. A righteous wife and righteous wealth – this is the body’s portion. If he attains wealth, he assists those in need and spends it in charity and in what brings reward. The righteous wife assists him in all of his states.
2. Sitting in the company of pious brethren in love and brotherhood – this is the soul’s portion.
3. Knowing Allah (ma‘rifah) and having intimacy with Him – this is the portion of the inner secret (sirr).
The good of the hereafter also has three meanings:
1. The body’s portion in the Hereafter is the well known pleasures of Paradise: the maidens, palaces, servants, elevated mansions and gardens. Allah prepared that for people and commanded them to enjoy these blessings.
2. The soul’s portion is also the company of one’s brethren, as Allah the Exalted describes: “We will remove whatever bitterness they had in their hearts. They are brothers who are sitting on thrones facing one another.” [Quran 15:47] Whenever one of them longs for his friend, the throne he is sitting on carries him to his friend faster than the blink of an eye. He then sits with his brother for a period of time that is as long as his life in this world.
3. The portion of the inner-secret (sirr) is in gazing upon Allah’s noble countenance and being endlessly enraptured in His love: “Truly, your Lord is the final goal” (53:42).
الفيوضات الربانية للحبيب زين بن إبراهيم بن سميط ص 89